Monday, August 18, 2014

Day 2 & 3

Even though it's only been three days since I arrived, I can feel my english struggling more than ever before. Pour example: A friend asked what the rain was like and I meant to say, "it's cold and rainy which makes me happy." But instead, I said, "c'est cold and wainy which makes mi happy." It's little occurances like that which give me an idea of how far I've come in just three days.... Today I learned words like avec (along with), fourche (fork), demain (tomorrow), apres (after), and a lot more. I'm able to understand more, but still not very well. I've made multiple mistakes by saying, "oui" when I should have said, "non, merci." But my host family has been very gracious towards my unententional errors.

We tend to have a more relaxed lifestyle here than we do in The States. I've watched TV more here in the past few days than I have in years combined. The TV is almost always on. I haven't been in my room much, simply because I want to spend time with the Delia's and observe the differences.

Livia and I went bowling tonight with some of her friends so that she could say au revoir (goodbye) and I won the first game and got second overall... talk about shocking! The people were kind when I couldn't understand something or had trouble ordering water.

I haven't had any homesickness except wishing I could hug my friends occasionally or understand what is going on around me. However, I think the fact that I've accepted that I can't understand what's going on around me has actually made it easier to understand and try. My heart still hurts from the separation of my friends and family, but I also recognize that I belong here for now. Honestly, I think I'm ignoring some of the homesickness and the longing to be around those that I love. I find hope in the fact that I haven't cried yet! Psalms 78 was very helpful to me today.

As we've gotten out of the house more and I've been able to see more of Liege, I've found myself falling in love with my surroundings. Everything is green, the houses remind me of a dream village (like you would think of from Germany with the skirts and clogs and such), and the people that act and talk different. The style here is so unique. Everyone dresses nice and in those flowy shirts like we have, they ALWAYS wear jeans and Converse, and blazers are common in every situation.

Franca cooks all the time and has made speghetti, panini's, and meatloaf (which was to die for). The choclate is... well... TO DIE FOR! I thought we had good Dove chocolate back in The States.. HAH! It doesn't even compare. And I must admit, the waffles are fantastic and the coffee is heavenly.

More to come. tout-a-l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment