Saturday, August 16, 2014

This Is It - Belgium Here I Come!


After five years of preparation, the day has finally arrived where I fulfilled my dreams of being an exchange student. I expected to be exhausted, run thin, and filled with utter joy. However, I did not expect it to be so hard to leave my friends and family. As I sat at Gate 3, everyone around me looked at me like I was crazy as I sat there with tears streaming down my face. My heart was torn in two as I looked at all that mattered now, and my dreams and future ahead of me. How could I choose? How could I leave? How could it hurt this much when it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do? Because this is what Christ has called me to do. Because He is pushing me out of my comfort zone and calling me out upon the waters. This is preparing me for something I am not yet aware of. So I trust Him.

As I have grown up, I always set my mind on leaving Lubbock. On getting out of my comfort zone. On experiencing life to its fullest extent. But what I never realized was how hard it would be to leave someplace where so many things were good. So, as I began to prepare for my departure over the last month, I was overwhelmed at how hard it was to say “see you later” to all the people that I loved more than life. I began asking God, “Why did You call me to this? Why are You taking me away from something so good?” After asking that question multiple times, He said, “Because I have something great planned.” So I, in all my faithlessness said, “are you sure, Daddy? Are you sure you know what’s best for me?” God taught me something remarkable this month. He taught me that all my fears were for nothing. That His plan would prevail and He is all I need. He is all I need. He is all I need. This life is so temporary… but whether I’m in Guadeloupe, Arkansas, New York, Seattle, Belgium, or anywhere else, He goes before me. He stands beside me. And He follows me. Every step of the way.

The past two years of my life have been focused on loving people to the best of my ability but not necessarily allowing them to love me back… I have always been afraid of letting people close enough to where they could hurt me and have any amount of say in what I do. I’ve always been independent in that aspect. But this month… Christ tore that chain off. I realized that it is okay to allow people to love me back and to let them in past what most people see. It’s okay to show raw emotion to everyone. To let everyone know that they really do matter. And that even the simplest smile or hug made a difference. He says that in this world we will have pain but to take heart because He has overcome the world. Every fear. Every heartbreak. Every let down. He has made it new.

I’m writing this 30,000 feet in the air but my heart is still home. Through the pain of saying goodbye, Christ whispers, “I know you care. I know it hurts. I am all you need. I am your rock. Trust me.” Over and over to my heart…. The people that have touched my heart and molded me into the person that I am are unaware of the brutal awakening of how much you love people when you leave them. Everything meets up eventually, and my emotions came around full circle. The notes, care packages, and little momentous make my heart happy beyond belief and makes me feel like I’m taking a little, physical, piece of them with me. But then I realize that they are with me everywhere I go, because they have taught me things and helped me grow. Because you can’t leave unchanged after realizing that you’re so loved. Because it’s impossible to forget what Christ taught me through them.

This is it. This is the time to be BOLD. This is the time to love radically and fearlessly. And this is the time to be pushed out of my comfort zone into Christ’s arms. So as my plane begins its descent, and this journey is about to begin, I want to say “merci” to everyone who has and ever will crossed my path. Whether in a class, church, or in passing. You’ve shaped me into who I am today. You’ve shown me love, grace, mercy, joy, hope, adventures, and filled me with memories to last a lifetime.

Merci

No comments:

Post a Comment